Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Checking In on a Freshman Comedy: 'Raising Hope' Raises Its Game

Filed under: ,

You can't judge a book by its cover, and it's likewise difficult to judge a TV show by its first episode. This new "Checking In" series will revisit shows that debuted in the last few months to see whether they've improved or declined. I'll also occasionally check in on veteran comedies and dramas to assess what's working and what isn't.

I might as well get this out of the way first: Last fall, 'Raising Hope' was on my list of Worst New Shows. You could say I didn't much care for the show's blaring, over-caffeinated pilot, and I know, that makes me a mean old stick in the mud. What kind of crabbypants doesn't think a baby watching her prisoner mother being executed is hilarious?

Fortunately, 'Raising Hope' (which airs Tuesday at a special time, 9:30PM ET) has toned down a lot of the antic elements that grated on me in the pilot. Some of its characters don't quite work and the show's forays into gross-out humor are still not my cup of tea, but 'Raising Hope' has certainly raised its game. Last week's episode, which featured a fine guest turn from Amy Sedaris, was actually pretty entertaining.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Amber Brkich Gretha Cavazzoni Marla Sokoloff Jennifer Love Hewitt Tina Fey

No comments:

Post a Comment