Thursday, February 24, 2011

Erik Johnson: 'I want to make Doug Armstrong regret trading me'

GM Doug Armstrong didn't bring Erik Johnson to the St. Louis Blues. That was the work of former St. Louis Blues draft guru Jarmo Kekalainen, who took him first overall in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

But Armstong is the guy who showed Johnson the exit, shipping the defenseman and Jay McClement to the Colorado Avalanche in that blockbuster four-player deal that saw Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk join the Blues.

The Avalanche visit the Blues tonight in a makeup game, after the Hockey Gods used inclement weather to postpone a Feb. 1 tilt in order to reschedule it days after the trade for added drama. (That's the only explanation, right?)

In pregame comments, Johnson made it clear that the deal has served as motivation to reach new heights as a player -- and show up the general manager who traded him.

Via the Denver Post:

For the video impaired, what Johnson said, via the P-D:

"I want to make them regret trading Erik Johnson," he said. "There's no doubt about that and I say that with the utmost respect in the world for them. I respect Doug Armstrong, I respect John Davidson, everybody I met here in this city.

"At the end of the day, I want them to be kicking themselves for trading me. ... I definitely want (Armstrong) at the end of the day saying, 'Why'd I trade Erik Johnson?' Don't get me wrong, they got two great players over there. (Kevin) Shattenkirk and (Chris) Stewart are great players. I know Shatty real well and Stewart gave us fits when I was with the Blues. At the end of the day, I want to make Doug Armstrong regret trading me."

It'll be an odd time for all four players from that late Friday night trade, according to the Post-Dispatch:

Although faces on both sides of the ice will be familiar ones and the ex-Blues probably will get a rousing welcome from the fans, the clash doesn't figure to be particularly sociable.

For Johnson and McClement, "the emotions will obviously flood back," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said. "But when the competition starts, the friendships go out the door and you play to win. I expect nothing less from Jay McClement and Erik Johnson when they come in here, and I expect nothing else from the two players that (came) here."

"We're going to play to win, they're going to play to win. It's going to be a heck of a hockey game."

As it should be. The Blues begin play five points out of the No. 8 seed with one game in hand; Colorado is clinging to life with an 11-point deficit and a 10-game winless streak.

Even without the trade, the intrigue is palpable: Matt Duchene, with six points in his last six games against the Blues, returns from injury while starter Peter Budaj owns a 4-game winning streak against St. Louis.

There's much more on the line than the performances of four players in this game; but the eyes of Avs, Blues and hockey fans in general will be focused on the quartet to see who makes the biggest statement against his former mates.

And, in one case, his former general manager.

Natalie Portman Jessica Biel Christina Milian Kelly Brook Robin Tunney

No comments:

Post a Comment