Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cam Newton sees the great Brett Favre as his mentor

Already well-known for being surrounded by people who make tremendous moral and ethical decisions, former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton told the NFL Network that he sees recently thrice-retired quarterback Brett Favre as sort of a mentor.

Newton then immediately announced his retirement.

I kid. He didn't do that. Here's what he did say to the NFL Network.

"When Brett Favre came into the meeting room as I was trying to decide which agent I was going to select, I seen Brett and Brett's calling me by my name, and I was like wow," Newton said while appearing on 'NFL Total Access' on NFL Network. "It’s unheard of and it's a dream come true just to be acknowledged and being able to talk and call Brett any time I feel like."

Ah, yes. Round-the-clock cell-phone access to Brett Favre. How's that worked out for everyone?

I'm sure that Brett Favre, if he were so inclined, could give a young player extremely helpful advice on how to succeed in the NFL. He's one of the all-time greats, and he didn't get to be that for no reason.

But Favre has also never been known as a guy who was tremendously helpful to young quarterbacks. Ask Aaron Rodgers about that sometime. Favre is known to be extremely loyal to his agent Bus Cook, though, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing Cook a favor in helping him land a client.

Newton is likely to be taken in the first-round of April's draft, where he might be taking a paycut from his college days. The 6-6, 250-pound quarterback currently ranks 13th overall on Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board, and is Kiper's second-ranked quarterback prospect.

Missy Peregrym Sarah Gellman Eliza Dushku Bonnie Jill Laflin Joanna Krupa

No comments:

Post a Comment