Monday, December 13, 2010

This Time Around, Akron Goes Home Champion

College Cup 2010Santa Barbara, Calif. -- For the first time in history, the University of Akron is an NCAA Champion. The Zips' Mens Soccer team claimed the school's debutante national title on Sunday, downing the unbeaten Louisville Cardinals 1-0 at the 2010 College Cup in Santa Barbara.

Head coach Caleb Porter was emotional after the game, praising the resilience of his star-studded roster.

"I'm not usually at a loss for words, but the thing that comes to mind for me is this feeling that I have of how proud I am of my team," he said. "It's been a long journey. For these guys to recover from a painful loss to Virginia last year and move on, work even harder this year, is a tremendous credit to these guys' character.

"They were hungry all year. They dug deep to win games. It wasn't easy, they kept fighting, and they refused to lose. This team is a rare combination of talent and winning qualities. When you put the two together, it's a very powerful thing. I've never seen a group with as much talent that also buys into the team and is as cohesive as this team was. For me, that's why we won the National Championship."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Connie Nielsen Melissa George Cameron Richardson Chandra West Kasey Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment